Job Title: Database Manager (CLOSED!!)
Application deadline: June 23, 2013
Duration of contract: 18 months with possible extension to 24 months
Location: Dakar, Senegal
The Interstate School of sciences and Veterinary Medicine of Dakar (EISMV) aims at contributing to economic growth, poverty reduction and food security of its member and non-member states through Research and Development activities, and expertise in the areas of animal production and animal health. http://www.eismv.org
A project on peri-urban dairy systems in Senegal “Senegal Dairy Genetics”, led by the International Livestock Research Institute (ILRI), in partnership with Interstate school of Sciences and Veterinary Medicine of Dakar (EISMV), the University of Helsinki (HU), and Agrifood Research Finland (MTT), and funded by the Finnish Ministry of Foreign Affairs via the FoodAfrica Programme started in January 2012.
The objectives of this project are to:
- Determine the most appropriate dairy breed / cross-breed types for peri-urban dairy production systems in Senegal, and disseminate this information;
- Characterise the dairy germplasm production chain and related policies, and use this information to develop a strategy for strengthened dairy germplasm production and delivery systems;
- Enhance local human, institutional and organizational capacity on accessing and promoting different breeds/cross-breeds of livestock.
More information can be found on the project web-site: https://senegaldairy.wordpress.com/
The Position & Job Purpose
The Senegal Dairy Genetics project will collect a large volume of field data (at both the household and individual animal level) over an 18 month period, using teams of field staff located in the two project sites (in Touba/Mbacke and Thies/Tivaouane). The project thus seeks to recruit a Database Manager to coordinate and assist in electronic data collection, transfer, quality assurance and integration with the overall project database platform.
Specific duties will include:
- Installing software on, and maintenance of, netbooks used by Senegal Dairy Genetics field staff, and training of field staff on their use.
- Supervise field teams to enter data into project databases and assist them in areas where they may experience difficulties
- Perform initial checks and revisions on the data received to ensure its completeness and correctness
- Collate data from the site staff into one dataset in readiness for data transfer
- Ensure data from the field staff are transferred to the project database platform on a weekly basis
- Perform basic routine checks on the field staff netbooks e.g. updating antivirus software and making sure all required software are installed
- Together with project staff in Senegal and Nairobi use data management procedures and software to extract and prepare data for analysis and produce routine summaries of data.
- Implement and monitor quality assurance protocols and routines, including local back-up of databases.
The successful candidate should have:
- BA/BSc degree in Information Systems, Database Management, Computer Science or related discipline.
- At least 2 years of experience in data management preferably working with relational databases for complex datasets.
- At least one year of experience working with relational databases e.g., MS Access, MySQL or MS SQL Server
- Experience of SQL language for data extraction and management of databases.
- Knowledge and experience of CSPro, Instat, Open Data Kit or Epi-Info is an advantage.
- Previous experience in simple data analysis and report writing preferred.
- Understanding and experience of working in applied agricultural research preferred.
- Excellent interpersonal communication and good personal organisation skills, including skills in mentoring and capacity building.
- Good communication ability in English, spoken and written.
- Good judgement and willingness to take initiative when appropriate.
Terms of Appointment: This position will be recruited through the Interstate school of Sciences and Veterinary Medicine of Dakar (EISMV) with an initial 18 months field term contract and possible extension to 24 months.
Location: The position will be based at Dakar, Senegal.
How to Apply: Applicants should send a cover letter and CV combined as one document no longer than three pages, explaining their interest in the position, what they can bring to the job, and the names and addresses (including telephone and email) of three referees who are knowledgeable about the candidate’s professional qualifications and work experience by June 23, 2013. Applications should be sent in French, and it would also be advantageous to send an English translation. Only online applications will be considered, and only short listed candidates will be contacted. Application files should be sent with subject title “Database Manager Application” as an email attachment to:
Prof Ayao Missohou: email@example.com
Dr Stanly Tebug: firstname.lastname@example.org
For more information, visit:
EISMV Website at http://www.eismv.org
Senegal Dairy Genetics project Website at https://senegaldairy.wordpress.com
ILRI Website at http://www.ilri.org